Thursday, March 13, 2008

Gas leaks may lead to tragedies

I saw on the Internet the story of a home explosion in Pennsylvania. A grandfather was watching his three year old granddaughter at the time of the explosion. The grandfather was killed and the little girl was found on the front lawn with a broken leg. This may sound like a freak accident, but the same thing could happen to anyone. I find gas leaks in several of the homes I inspect each year. Most often the family is unaware. Sometimes the children's play area may even be located next to a leaking furnace gas line. I am glad to find the leak before a major accident occurs. I would advise homeowners to have the gas company check their home for leaks at least annually, especially in areas where there are rapid climate changes and the gas lines are exposed to outside temperatures.

No comments: